Tuesday, April 10, 2012

An Interview with Tracey Richardson


Tracey Richardson is the author of Florestine. I had a chance to talk with her about her book and the subject of writing.


How long have you been writing? What got you in to writing?

I have been writing since I was about sixteen.  I only got serious about it about twenty two years ago.

What was your first published book? Looking back, is there anything you'd change about it?

My first published book in Florestine which just came out.  So far, I would like to change everything about it.  But I’ll get over it. 

What or Who has influenced your writing?

Writers from the 19th century most influenced my writing.  I like the way they used words to describe something as mundane as leaves on a tree.

What hinders your writing? (distractions? writer's block?)

I am currently having writer’s block so I decided to work on another project.  I am going to publish a book my mother wrote before she passed away. 

What genre are you most comfortable with? What would you like to explore?

Romance.

Are you a free spirit writer, or do you have to use a formula to put your thoughts into story form? 

I’m still learning my craft.  I started out using free form but soon decided that my stories were getting away from me.  Now I use an outline and/or chapter synopsis to get my thoughts into order.

 Who are your favorite authors?

Dashiell Hammett, Rex Stout, F Scott Fitzgerald, Jennifer Blake, Charles Dickens.
  
What is your latest release? 

Florestine

What do you have in the works?

All That I Have to Give.  It’s my mother’s story that she started before the chemo for her cancer caused her to abandon the project.
  
What excites you about a new story?

Getting it down on paper.

What are three tips or suggestions for aspiring authors?
Take some creative writing classes and read, read, read.
For more information, visit Tracey's site at http://www.traceydesignz.com/

1 comments:


Tracey said...

Wow! Kat, your questions almost have me sounding halfway intelligent. You have a great way of posing them to elicit an answer worth printing.

Thanks so much.